Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas with the Celts.

I stepped into a time machine the Friday after Thanksgiving and took a trip back to the 16th century. However, I did not use a Delorian or a flux capacitor, but something closer to a time portal. I simply traversed to Plantersville, Texas and took a step…well, more of a leap…back in time at the Texas Renaissance Festival.

The Texas Renaissance Festival is in its 34th year and is open for eight themed weekends in October and November. King Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon reign over the festival features sights, sounds and tastes, from the Renaissance period, with over 300 arts and crafts shops, 150 live acts and over 60 food shops. Normally gates open on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to dusk, but this year, the Festival has added an extra day - Thanksgiving Friday.

I traveled on this new day to enjoy the first day of the Celtic Christmas weekend. I arrived around noon just in time to catch the daily parade! Take note of the Gutenberg Press flag going by. Where would we be without it.
See video 1.

I next tried my hand at a few of the activities and saw a few of the exotic sights around the festival. My axe throwing skills were not up to par with last year's throws, but at least I was able to ring the bell! See video 2.

Elephants and Camels that you can ride? They were there. I have never been that close to these animals, so it was definitely a neat experience to see them. Notice, if you can, the bell tune in the background. The king also has a carousel and the Brachiator made a few dizzy! Other guests enjoyed a relaxing swing on the King's Swing. See video 3.

I caught a few Performers' shows as well. Ded Bob had the crowd involved with a humorous routine and The Sturdy Beggars...well...cleaned up nicely. See video 4.

Many costumed attendees filled the park, and I approached two fellow scullywags before they could parlay. See video 5.

All in all the day was spent enjoying the alluring sights and relaxing with the ancient sounds, and tastes of the Texas Renaissance Festival. See video 6.

1





2




3





4





5



6

No comments: