Wednesday, December 10, 2008

On the Ninth day of Christmas my true love gave me sleet.


Yesterday the weather reminded of this year's election in that there was an unexpected change.







When I went to campus around 10 a.m. I was wearing athletic shorts and a T-shirt. However, when it came time for me to leave for the day the weather had changed so much that I had to call a friend for a ride home. There was no way I could walk two miles in 40 degree weather with the wind howling at my summer clothed body.

It was good to get home, change into my cozy, wool robe and sit down by a nice fire, roaring in the hearth, while enjoying some hot cocoa and leftover gingerbread cookies. Oh, and did I mention I was reading a few chapters of the new Alec Greven novel, How To Talk To Girls?

Anyway, as the weather got slightly more wet and cold, I began to notice a sound, on the window panes, that was out of the ordinary. It caught my attention because, it began to sound like a visitor was tapping at the window. I immediately thought, "Santa?!"

I mean, let's face it, I've been a good boy this year. I thought maybe he had come to visit and bring my presents early. Alas, no jolly friend in red. As I opened the door, I saw a sight just as rare!

The precipitation wasn't rain, but SNOW! In Texas? Yes!

Well, it wasn't snow, but something pretty similar. It was mini hail. Also known as sleet.

What's the difference you may ask? Although both need freezing temperatures, snow crystallizes as it falls, where as, sleet gets circulated up in the clouds, by high winds, until it freezes. Thus, the 'drops' are too heavy to stay with superman, so they fall to the earth. Oh, those guys suffer the same fate as Icarus.

I braved the elements, because I couldn't resist the temptation to capture this novelty, and I took a few pictures from a few spots in San Marcos and on campus.

Later when I got back to my apartment I challenged my roommate to a brief sleet-ball fight. We had a laugh and then quickly ran into the warmth of our apartment.




The next morning, as I walked to school, little evidence was to be found of the night before. Save for a few spots in the corners of buildings on campus.

Oh, and there was this guy too.



Hope you all do well on finals and have a Happy Holiday!

Oh, by the way, I made up the part about the book I was reading. I have a girlfriend.

No comments: